Get a Free Quote
You will receive quote within 24 Hrs
How To Reduce Android App Size?
Android applications have become an integral part of everyone’s day-to-day life and more the better user experience (UE) more the demand for it. People are spending several hours of their day indulged using applications on their smart mobile phones.
In order to make them more efficient, there are several ways through which the sizes of the android apps can be reduced, that are as mentioned below:
Below is the checklist that will give you a list of factors to consider before starting:
- Reducing the Image Size
- Using Vector Graphics
- Reduce the Resource by Enabling Shrinking
- Using Android App Bundles
- Reducing the Native and Java Codebase Sizes
- Debug Libraries can be Removed
- Image Optimization
1) Reducing the Image Size
- The image sizes can be reduced and the PNGs, BMPs, and JPEGs can be converted to WebP format.
- This conversion will not compromise the quality of the image but will considerably reduce the size of it.
- The WebP format will provide transparency (like PNG) as well as lossy compression (like JPEG), which will provide better compression than PNG & JPEG.
2) Using Vector Graphics
- Vector drawables can be used in place of simple images to reduce the size and utilize the space efficiently in the project.
3) Reduce the Resource by Enabling Shrinking
- Unnecessary resources can be identified and can be removed from the project which is not being used anywhere in it.
- This can be enabled in the build.gradle file by adding below lines:
//Add the following//
minifyEnabled true proguardFiles
} } }
4) Using Android App Bundles
- Supporting more devices while reducing the APK size is the most innovative way of reducing the overall APP size. This can be achieved by using the Android app bundle.
- App size with the android app bundles can be reduced in 2 ways:
-> By using the configuration APK
-> Dynamic delivery for on-demand features
5) Reducing the Native and Java Codebase Sizes
- This can be done at the programmer level in several ways:
-> Enumeration avoidance: This can be done by using the @IntDef annotation and ProGuard to remove enumerations out and hence converting them to integers.
-> Minimizing the size of native binaries.
-> Removing the unnecessary code that is automatically generated.
6) Debug Libraries can be Removed
It can be done by using the debugCompile while testing the debug apk. This will optimize the use of space and hence reduce the app size.
7) Image Optimization
The images can be optimized by using optimizers like TinyPNG, OptiPNG, etc to appropriately use the image space in the app.
Android apps are the emerging technology of the present and coming future and hence need more enhancement to provide its best to the users. So by reducing the size of the app, you can encourage more people to download it on their smartphones. By using the above-listed ways, one can reduce the size of an app and can increase the efficiency
Why Choose Alakmalak?
Alakmalak is a Android Apps Development Agency in India that offers services for several technologies. There have been around for a very long time and have developed over 2500 projects for clients all around the world. They have highly skilled web developers with a great deal of experience.
- Android App Development
- Android App Development companies in India
- Android App Size
- How To Reduce Android App Size?