The number of website being build day in and day out are on the rise. Although it is necessary to have a smashing design supported with great functionality it is also essential to have a website that is free of the common mistakes that the website designers tend to make. The visitors may overlook the design as far as the website is functional but they are not too kind on websites design that make some of the most common and basic mistakes.
Here is a list of some of the common mistakes the web designer’s make:
- Accessibility: Accessibility of the website is of utmost importance. The website you are making should be compatible with the maximum number of browsers. At times the website appear fine on one browser but are completely distorted on another. This often happens when there are new versions of browsers being released and the developer needs to provide support for the older browser versions as well. Besides being usable on various different browsers and platforms the website should be designed such that the text is readable and the graphics don’t hurt the eye. For example the same website should be easy to read from a mobile phone user as well as a desktop computer user. There are so many different sizes of screens these days that it is hard to cater to all though one can do their best.
- Relevant information: The website should always contain relevant information. The websites being developed these days do not tend to have a FAQ (frequently asked questions) page. Instead the website include the necessary information in the content itself, making it more interesting and capturing the imagination of the visitor making him a potential customer.
- The contact information: It is amazing how many websites fail to place their contact information on their website. The existence of contact information on the website develops trust in the visitor. This is especially true for e commerce websites. I know many people who want nothing to do with websites that sell products but don’t display their contact information and this is almost second nature for the first time online shoppers or infrequent online shoppers. Besides having a dedicated page for the contact information; it pays to emphasis it to via several designing techniques.
- A Splash Screen: Many clients often insist to have a splash screen to greet their visitors along with a large ‘click here to enter the site’ button. Splash screens on websites are of no value besides providing an extra page to display information about the company. Once the visitor enters the URL in the browser the next thing that they expect to see is the website with the relevant information and not a series of pages that lead up to the main content. Such gimmicks are a major turn off and should be avoided as far as possible.
- Audio: Websites with background music are rare on the internet and there is a very good reason for that. Audio should be used only in fancy websites or on websites like a greeting card website. Placing audio on a regular website especially such that it plays automatically can get quite irritating and will adversely affect traffic to your website.
- Making use of graphic multimedia elements: Flash graphics can be very attractive and meaning full when used sparingly. The same goes for graphics as well. The graphics and flash on the website should enhance the website and make it standout. The graphics and flash do not need to stand out on their own. Such multimedia elements should only be used to optimize the website and not to decorate it with some nice image or flash. As per the recent statistics flash is used by 14.1% of all the websites. But another interesting statistic also shows that the use of flash is steadily on the decline.
- Search Engine Factor: Every website developed should be made search engine friendly. It is not necessary that doing so will make you site appear top of the search results on a search engine, but it will definitely increase the changes of it appearing amongst the search results.
- Navigation: If there is anything that is an absolute requirement on a website, than that is good navigation. The navigation should be organized such that the visitor to the website will see it immediately. No matter what the theme may be and how unique the navigation is; if the visitor can’t find it or understand how to use it; it is of no use.
- Monitoring your creation: It is quite natural to lose interest in the website once having made it especially if you are preoccupied with other important matters. Websites should ideally be monitored for visitors and the nature of visitors since this leads to valuable information on the who is visiting the website. With this information in hand you can further optimize your website to cater to the masses.
Alakmalak is one company that has managed to obtain the art of designing websites and takes all of the above and more into consideration with doing so. It is for this reason that it has successfully build more than 2000 websites for clients across the globe and continues to deliver and satisfy many more clients across the world. The web designers have a great deal of experience, insight and help from their supervisors in order to make each website more interesting than the previous one.