- Overview of configuration multilanguage site in joomla.
- How to configure multi language site in joomla?
Here is a quick overview of the configuration of a multi language site, Here mainly Joomla 3 is targeted:
- To start with you will need to login to the admin panel of your Joomla website.
- Once you are logged in navigate to the admin menu Extensions >> Extension Manager.
- Select the install languages option.
- Now you can either search using the search tool provided or select from the list displayed. In order to search, enter the name of the language in the field provided and hit the search button.
- Now check the language and click the install button.
- You need to wait till a message is displayed by the website saying that the new language is installed.
- Now go to the admin menu once again Extensions >> Language Manager and click on the content tab and hit the new button.
- Here you need to create a new content language with unique parameters. You will need to enter the name of the language, the URL language code the language tag, its status and general access information.
- Save and close this once you are done entering the information.
- Once successfully saved go to the admin menu yet again and select Extensions >> Plugin Manager.
- Look for the System Language Filter and enable it.
- Now that you have a new language it is possible for you to create a language switcher.
- To do so go to the Module Manager from the admin menu like Extensions >> Module Manager.
- Hit the new button and select language switcher module.
- Enter the name of the module and set it to published and select an appropriate position for the module before saving it.
- You now need to create a menu for every installed language and leave one additional for both languages. For example if you have two different languages installed like English and Spanish, you will need to create menus for both English and Spanish. You will then need to check which one of the menus is set to default. Now if the main menu is the default menu, then you will need to create two more main menus for English and Spanish.
- A new menu can be created by going to Menus >> Menu Manager >> New Menu from the admin section menu.
- Thus now enter the relevant information for both the languages, in this case English and Spanish and save them.
- Once the menus are created you will need to add the sub menu items. This includes all the sub menu items that which are present on the main menu we just visited.
- There are two ways of doing this. The first method is the straight forward method of simply adding each sub menu item one at a time.
- The second and more easier method is to go to the main menu and duplicate each of the submenus and then assign them to the new menus like the English one and Spanish one in this case.
- Now for each of the menus (English and Spanish in this case) you will need to go to the advanced options section. Here select the categories and select the category for the new language. It a category is not present you can even create a new category. The new category will require you to have the articles in the new language added to it. However this is done at a later time.
- Once completed should notice the British and Spanish flag next to their respective menus.
- The next task is to create a duplicate of the top menu module for the English language and the language we have added here Spanish,.
- Thus go to the admin menu and navigate like Extensions >> Module manager. Search for the module used for the top menu. This could be the superfish menu or some other one. The name really depends on the template that you are currently using.
- You will need to duplicate it by hitting the duplicate button.
- Now rename the menu for English language and change the language in the drop down to English as well. Set the other configuration options as per yoru requirements. You will need to repeat the same process for the additional language that we installed earlier; in this case Spanish.
- You now need to disable the Superfish menu for all languages. Then go to the admin menu Menus > Main Menu > Home. Module Assignment and check the ‘hide unassigned modules’ option.
- Make sure each of the menus have ‘yes’ selected under Display.
- It is time to refresh your home page of your website and check out the language switcher that we have installed.
That was the configuration necessary to set up a multi-lingual website. It may seem like a very long and hard process to follow. But the instructions have been provided in steps and hence it is quite easy to follow and implement by a not so internet savvy person as well.
In general Joomla which is an open source software is available as a free download from its website. Hence just about anyone can download it and install it. They can then use it to make their own website by performing minor customizations. Since Joomla has a very user friendly interface and contains proper steps to install it; anyone with a little knowledge of how to use a computer can make a website.
This website may be a blog, or a content management system or even an e-commerce website. What is very important however is a the selection of the template (layout) of the website. Many prefer to utilize readymade templates. These templates can be downloaded and installed to your Joomla website with ease. Especially since joomla provides such a nice interface to do so.
On the other hand if you require a template that contains your own design elements and custom functionality you will need to hire a Joomla web developer to help you out. Alakmalak is one such professional Joomla development company.