For Such Interesting articles
Where does Drupal stand in the war of the CMS
When it comes to making a CMS there are three names that come to the mind first. They are Drupal, WordPress and Joomla.
Each of these CMS web development began in a small way and have gone ahead to become really huge. Drupal was started by a student by the name Dries Buytaert of the University of Antwerp as early as 2000. He started a small news site with a built in web board to allow a group of friends to communicate within themselves and leave messages. Later after graduation in 2001 Dries released the software as Drupal.
As for WordPress it was not even a CMS to start with. It was way back in 2003 that Matt Mullenweg and Mike Little developed WordPress as a fork of b2 cafelog. They never looked back and now WordPress is what it is.
Joomla was created as result of a form of Mambo in 2005. The Joomla developers created a website called OpenSourceMattes.org to distribute information to the software community. Their community continued to grow as did their project till it finally was released in the form of Joomla.
All the three content management systems (CMS), Drupal, WordPress and Joomla are very good and very useful hence which one would you choose and how choosing Drupal has several benefits over the others is what this article is all about.
Hands on Development:
- Drupal is good in this respect. It provides you with a great many options while developing a website and writing code that you almost will never have the need to replace a system file for any reason.
How Joomla fairs:
- Joomla has undergone a lot of change with release after release and though the basic structure is the same there are many subtle changes and improvements that make it quite desirable and attractive for a person with the requirement of making a good CMS. That said, Joomla is good for ecommerce type of sites but requires a certain high level of technical coding skills to pull it off.
- The facts have way of putting things into place in times like these. Joomla has recorded roughly 30 million downloads and is used by some of the big names for the development of their website like, Harvard University, The Hill, etc Joomla has many free themes and plug-ins to offer though not as many as WordPress and Drupal have to offer.
- Joomla is an award winning content management system (CMS) which has some powerful features though best used for e-commerce and social networking websites.
- WordPress remains one of the best tool for blogs as well small scale websites and the fact is that is what it was built for. It has many good features like minimal installation and configuration and setting, hence a website can be setup in no time. It has a cleaner code structure and simpler admin interface. Thus WordPress is very easy to use and the learning curve is not very, it is almost nonexistent. You by know means need to be a programmer to use it.
- WordPress can also be customised to a large extent, but there are certain things that it is simply not designed for. WordPress is one of the most widely used CMS. The facts speak for themselves with over 140 Million downloads and use by firms like Forbes, Sony, CNN. If it were to be compared with the other CMS, it has a lot more free plug-ins and themes available as well. Needles to say that WordPress is one of the more popular and better options for a blog, a corporate website, in the sense small and medium sized websites.
- Although WordPress has it’s limitations too. When your requirements demand you to do more and have a higher level of customization, then WordPress might not be the best CMS for the job.
The right place of Drupal:
- A project that requires a great level of customization for the loads of features it posses, requires that you pick a CMS with corresponding abilities.
- There are a few CMS that fit the bit amongst which Drupal is the closest and most appropriate one. Drupal posses a powerful template engine, and provides complete control over the admin interface.
- Drupal has come a long with several different releases, each one better than the previous. Drupal is known for having the least number of hacks too. The fact that it can be used for small level websites, medium level websites as well as large websites is a rewarding thought. It has the least number of download count compared to Joomla and WordPress. It has a fair number of free templates available and plug-ins available. So of the websites that use Drupal include whileHouse.gov, as well as MTV.
Drupal appears to the obvious choice at the moment but things have habit of changing. This is especially true for the technology industry and the same may not be true a few years down the line. But the way it stands, Drupal has a lot to offer making it a suitable CMS for the small websites, even medium size websites and the really complicated and big ones.
Alakmalak is a popular web development company in India that has development websites using WordPress though Drupal too is used for several different purposes. It is a company that has developed more than 2000 website for clients all around the world and continues to provide the best solution for each client.
- CMS web development
- content management system (CMS)
- web development company in India
What’s Next ?
I know after reading such an interesting article you will be waiting for more. Here are the best opportunities waiting for you.
Uncover our captivating services
Supercharge your business with us
OVER 600 Small, Medium and Large Enterprise business clients have chosen us from 35 COUNTRIES
I want to thank all Alakmalak team for take my project and help me to improve my website! Thank you for your responsibility and seriousness at the time to do corrections and improvements on my website and for always be in touch with me. Highly recommended! Great team! Great company! I'm very thankful Alakmalak!
Frank M. Cali.USA
A few kinds words to say about Alakmalak programming and design. Working with these guys is always such a great relief. You know you are getting your stuff done right and usually always in a timely fashion. I’m a middle man for the most part And my clients are always happy with the end result.