Joomla is a very versatile software. It is an open source software which is free to download and install. Joomla has many different implementations; it can be used as a blog, a content management system, or even an ecommerce website. Whatever the case may be you have the option of either selecting an existing template or select an readymade template from the internet.
However if you are the kind who wishes to add their own ideas and have a custom design on their website then you may need to hire a professional Joomla Web developer for the job. Alakmalak is one such Joomla Web development company that can help you out with such requirements.
What usually happens when you get your website developed by someone is that they do the development on a development server first. Once completed the website is then transferred to the main domain. Thus in that case the Joomla website would need to be transferred.
You may also have the need to transfer your website from one domain to another if you change your hosting company. Although this is not done very often if you do need to change your hosting for some reason then you can do so by following information provided in this article.
Move your Joomla website from one domain to another in the following manner:
- To start with you will need access to your Web hosting server panel. Once logged into the hosting control panel navigate to the file manager.
- Now make sure to select the directory containing your files or all the files from the root directory if there is only one website hosted.
- Now search for a compress option to compress the files into a zip file for easy download.
- Most control panels will have the option where they allow you to use the features like compression and extraction. But there are some hosting control panels that don’t have such features.
- In that case you need to download your files via FTP. Simply login to the server via FTP and select the files of your project and download them.
- You will also need to download the database of your site. This can be done by going the database administrator in the hosting control panel. phpMyAdmin is one of the most popular database administrators and it will allow you to select your database and export all the data in the form of a SQL file.
- Once you have both the data and the program files it is now time to transfer it to the new hosting.
- Close your old hosting site and load the new hosting control panel and login.
- Here you need to follow a similar procedure. First check for a database administrator and use it to create a new database. Then import your SQL file into the new database.
- You will also need to upload the files to the new server. This can be done by logging into the new server via FTP. If you do have a compression and extract feature for ZIP files then upload the compressed version of your website if not then you will need to upload the entire website as it is. This may take a while.
- Now uncompress the ZIP file uploaded. It is important to note that you will need to edit the configuration.php file found in the root directory of your new hosting domain.
- Replace the old values of the name of the database, the user and the password files with those from the new database that you just created.
- That is all that you need to do. Your website should be up and ready on the new hosting server.
If you like this Blog, please Plus it, Like it, Tweet it, or best yet, link to it
- how to move a joomla site from one domain to another
- Moving a Joomla website from one domain to another
- Steps to Moving a Joomla site from one domain to another